Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Lazarus Man- Mohican 100

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly....if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” -Teddy Roosevelt

*Update: Apparently, my issues were from a bad bout with e coli. Read on.*

Opening Scene. Fire tower aid station. Mile 86

"We can call our medic, and he can give you a ride back"
"Yeah, I'm done. I can't even move my knee"
"Ok then. Just relax, keep that ice on it, and we will drive you back soon. 86 miles is still an incredible effort. Fire tower to finish. We have another drop"

"Who's that that all wrapped up laying there?"
"Oh, that's Mike, he's been here for three hours"
"Is he ok?"
"No, he's had some serious stomach issues for the past 4-5 hours and it's only gotten worse"
"Good news, our medic just arrived to pick up the two drops. You should wake Mike up so he can get a ride back with them"
"Mike, mike! If you want, you can get a ride back now"

Me: "No way! I am finishing this thing"

Eight hours earlier at the Hickory Ridge aid station. Mile 71.

A volunteer yells, "Mike, you have really been moving up all day!". Indeed, after fifteen hours of running my strategy was starting to pay off. I ran the first 26.8 mile loop in a fairly relaxed 5 hours flat. The second 26.8 mile loop was an even more relaxed 5:45 in order to save myself for a strong push later. I was going to keep the effort level comfortable in the heat and humidity, and wait until the cool of the late afternoon to start an aggressive push towards the front. I was going to crush the remaining two 23.2 mile loops.

For the past 5 hours, I had been picking my way past runners. Top 30 through 26.8 miles. Top 25 through 41 miles. Top 20 through 50 miles. Top 15 through 58 miles.

As I passed yet another runner around mile 67. My position climbed one more time.....9th overall. I was running with all cylinders firing away. I knew even if I faded a little on the last loop, I would finish in about 22:30. Out of nearly 300 starters, I was in the hunt, and closing in on my goal to run a 22 hour race. I was focused, and executing to perfection the race I had planned out.

......But, I had noticed my stomach starting to fall apart. No, not now! Not after all this hard work to finally crack the top 10. Everything was going too well to let my stomach eff it all up. Just like Massanutten, it looked like my race was going to unravel after mile 70. I tried fighting back as hard as I knew how. I knew my body well, and over the next few hours I used every trick in the bag to attempt to settle my stomach. Ginger, ginger ale, salt, soup, Tums, ice, ice water, Ensure, daydreaming about Maria Sharapova handing me a cocktail on a tropical beach.....on and on. I tried everything. Things that had worked in the past were failing to provide any semblence of relief. Nothing freaking worked! Other than serious injury, stomach issues are the worst. When you can't eat, you lose energy. It made walking forward a chore, and moving up any kind of hill nearly impossible. Strangely enough, I had yet to be passed by anyone except the ninth place runner back at mile 71, and it wasn't until mile 81 that I was passed again, and officially relinquished my top 10 position.

Mile 84. All I had to do was walk two more miles to the Fire Tower aid station, and I could lay down for a while. Nope, I couldn't wait that long. My body wasn't having it. I needed to lay down now. I was walking 45 minute mile pace. Over the next two miles I layed down on the side of the trail four times for a total of about an hour. My stomach was not feeling any better, and it took nearly 1.5 hours to walk two miles. About a quarter mile from the aid station a volunteer came bounding down the trail to look for me. A few of the other runners had reported to the aid station they had seen a guy laying on the side of the trail "just sorta chilling there like he was relaxing".

When I finally got to the aid station, I knew my only resort was to lay down for a while. How long, I did not know. Within a few minutes I was already getting incredibly cold and wrapped myself in several blankets like a little Asian burrito. After an hour I got up to pee and nearly vomited to which I commented "Just like being back in college!". Pee pee break done, back to being an Asian burrito.

Two hours passed.....Small bobbing lights would come into view. Runners trickling in the dark night and vanishing off into the even darker early morning......My stomach was still churning and bubbling......Three hours passed.....I could hear bits and pieces of faint conversation between my lapses in sleep. A cool rain was falling....3 hours and 30 minutes.....the medic came and went....4 hours passed.....it was now, or never.

It was now 4:45am. I arrived at the aid station at 12:45am. Four hours of laying down, and I inexplicably felt worse than when I arrived. Over the past 10 hours I had not eaten more than a cup of broth and a few sips of ginger ale. Since laying down obviously didn't help, I knew I had to just get up and get moving. It was the only way I was going to make it to the next aid station, no less finish the race. At this point my G.A.S (give a shit) meter was also broken, and I switched into just finish mode. I got up, threw on a Snuggie (yes you read that right), because I was freezing from not moving for so long. After over fours hours at the Fire Tower aid station I made my first steps of forward progress, in my Snuggie, and was sent off with loud cheers. My body had long since been running on fumes. The meter was on empty, and had been on empty for quite some time now. Now I was moving on the pure strength of my will. It was all I had left. The resurrection of Mike Bailey.

Six hours later, through mud and chilly morning downpours, I crossed the finish line in 28:55. The last 23.2 mile loop of the course took me 12:25. I had needed to casually walk/run it in 7:22 in order to break 24 hours. Basically, I could have walked the final loop and broken 24 hours. However, some days are just not meant to be, and all you can do is just try and finish. It was like going on a date with Beyonce, and having her look like Oprah by the end of the night. Still a wealthy bang for the buck, just not nearly as attractive.

I think the races that give us the most challenge, can often come with the most reward. I think my crappy Massanutten 100 made me more mentally tough to handle a horrific day at this race. In a way, Mohican was much more mentally agonizing because of how well I had been running when shit hit the fan. At Massanutten I was never near the front, and was still pretty set on dropping, and yet at Mohican the notion of dropping never entered my thoughts. Even without a pacer, or crew, and even offers to get a ride back, I was 100% set on finishing. I suppose it really is the rough days that make us tougher, and not so much the "easier" successes.

Honestly though, despite finishing, I don't enjoy slogging through 29-32 hour 100 milers. It's not fun, and the risk versus reward isn't well balanced.

Other than that, there were some fun quirky moments of this race.

1. Unknown to me, I ran the entire first loop with my shirt on backwards. That's what I get for putting my clothes on in a dark tent
2. I did run 3 miles of the race wearing a Snuggie
3. I lost both a handheld bottle and a flashlight
4. Shattered my "motionless at an aid station" PR by three hours (previously set at Massanutten)
5. Had roughly a 30 minute conversation about poop with a female runner (note: it was mostly her talking)
6. Drank water from a stream (possibly the reason I got sick. It almost makes sense with the timing of events)
6. Ran through a waterfall as tribute to The Last of the Mohicans yelling "I will find you. Just stay alive!"
7. Forgot to pack a watch. Ran watchless all day. The second 100 I have finished without a watch.

waterfall on the long loop --->

<---the beautiful covered bridge


Gregg Cobert, Jr. said...

congrats dude. well done on finishing the race. the course beautiful.

Tab said...

Mike Bailey -
I am very glad you didn't let your ego get in the way. You could have been all, "Oh, shit. I won't be Top 10. Fuck this shit. I'm straight outta this joint," but instead persevered to the end. In a Snuggie.
And I swear, I know that quote you start out with from somewhere else.
Love the reference to a give-a-shit breaking too.

ultrarunnergirl said...

Way to gut it out Mike. We always learn more when we struggle than when we coast in easily, don't we?

Yeah, no more stream drinking. The effects of bad water can last much, much longer than the duration of a race. All bad!

Matt said...

I'm waiting to see picture of you heading out in the Snuggie.

James Brennan said...

great job Mike- you are an excellent storyteller, and this time a very fascinating protagonist. Usually the main character (including myself) peaces out even after a 20 minute break at an aid station. Way to battle thru the tough moments and get it done. You will know what ugly looks like and worst case scenario when you toe the line. Others will only fear it.

James Brennan said...

Great job Mike. You have looked worst case scenario in the face and took it head on. Usually frontrunners only just fear unraveling they don't wrestle with it and battle it. You will have a huge advantage starting your next 100 mentally.

Mike Bailey said...

Thanks for all the love guys! It really means a lot to me to know you are following my adventures and misadventures alike. I, as well, enjoy reading your stories and be part of what you do!

And Kir, and Tab. No more stream drinking. Ever. Again. Unless I am going to die, and then maybe.

James, I will use whatever bull headedness I have picked up this year to try and finish Leadville. Look forward seeing you crush it out there.