Friday, December 21, 2012

Tipping the Performance Scales

(2012 Big Bear Lake 12 Hour. Photo by Jason Griffith)


Some really good articles have come out about body weight, composition, and running. In fact Ellie Greenwood has a very good write up on Irunfar regarding this very topic of body weight. http://www.irunfar.com/2012/12/a-weighty-issue.html. Ellie claims, somewhat seriously and somewhat jokingly, that she is one of the heavier women to finish at the top of the Western States 100 field, and in races in general. Ellie is a lean 128 lbs, and by comparison I don't consider her "heavy" by any stretch of the imagination, even at 5'5". I've also heard terms like "strong is the new skinny", which I believe is true, until you hear it from someone like Devon Yanko(Crosby-Helms) who is very fast, but still a rail thin 6'1". If you look historically at elite marathoners, or runners of any distance, you will see smaller people with very little fat, and who are very skinny. Just think of any Kenyan you've ever seen run a marathon. Even when you glance at elite ultrarunners you see guys like Karl Meltzer (142lbs), Tony Krupicka (150lbs), Michael Wardian (142lbs), Killian Jornet(127lbs), Matt Carpenter(118lbs), Mike Morton (120lbs), and countless more that are all between 118 and 142 lbs. In fact, while some of the guys listed are short, Meltzer, Krupicka, and Wardian are all close to six feet tall, if not taller. As odd as it sounds, I'm only 172cm tall, and yet I outweigh every guy I just mentioned by over 12 lbs, and I am by no means fat. Seems like the logic of skinny equals fast is true?

 (Haile Gebrselassie, perhaps the greatest marathoner ever. 5'5", 123 lbs)

Not always. The ultramarathon, and speaking more generally in terms of races of 50 miles to over 100, might be the one place your body weight will matter least. Granted, this does not mean you can be 50 lbs overweight and think you will do well, it does mean that someone with 10% or higher body fat won't be at a signicifant disadvantage. There is proven truth that less body fat, to a safe degree, means the body is carrying around less unnecessary weight. The question is, is muscle a necessary weight? The value of having glycogen, a little extra fat, and muscle can actually help you in longer races where the body needs to rely on it's own resources for fuel. I am glad that more "average", as in not skeletal looking, runners that are now doing well in the sport. Hal Koerner, David James, Frank Gonzalez, Timothy Olson, are just a few of the growing numbers of regularly built, but very fit, athletes rising to the tops of the ultramarathon world. Let's hope the trend continues.

But, why is this even important to the 99.99% of us who are not elite athletes? It's important because while we are not as fast, we still want to perform at our best. Sometimes having long distance running as a hobby is a wonderful win, win situation because I get to do something I enjoy, it keeps me healthy, and there are the perks of having the easthetic benefits of a runner's body. However, it wasn't more than a few years ago I wondered if being a skinnier runner would be the thing that would help me run faster. Afterall, I wasn't blessed with the genetic gifts of having a moderately good VO2 max, no less one in the 70s to 90's like most top level athletes. In fact, my modest VO2 max of 52 is less than many recreational runners that I know. That being said, I figured that since running more didn't make me faster, and a strict workout plan wasn't making me faster, that losing weight was the ticket. Boy was I wrong! And that's a good thing.

I weighed 155 lbs my senior year of high school. I was not a runner, nor did I lift weights. I was merely young, active, and had the usual metabolism of a 17 year old. In college I ate like crap, but lifted weights and played basketball, so my weight increased to 173 lbs by 2001. Heck, this was back when I could bench press 260 lbs, and even put up 285 lbs on the decline bench. I can't believe how strong I was back then, yet I probably could not have run an eight minute mile. By my senior year, I learned about nutrition and started jogging a couple miles per week, which brought me back down to about 162 lbs by the time of my graduation. I was 157 lbs when I ran my first ultra in 2004, and it wasn't until I felt like my training was plateuing in 2006 that I tried to slim down. It wasn't long before my weight hit 150, then 145 lbs, and eventually creeping below 140. At that point every workout sucked, and my enjoyment for running completely went out the window. My energy levels were constantly low, my mood was cranky, and my legs always felt slow and heavy.

I wondered how could that be? I'm almost 20 lbs lighter, still have some muscle on me, but am slower now than ever before? That's when it hit me that not all bodies are built the same, and that my broad shoulders and thick calves were meant to support a body heavier and stronger than the weekling sub 140 lb frame I had developed over the past several months. Bit by bit, I worked my way back into a stronger heavier body, but one that to my pleasant surprise was also much faster. By 2008 I returned to the ultramarathon scene and had a new found appreciation for the way God designed my particular body. Another valuable lesson I learned is that you can never judge a runner based on their looks. Seems simple enough, right? However, even after eight years of running, I can be a little insecure about my body type when toeing the line with tall skinny dudes in short shorts. I mean, geeze, they look like professional runners. They are all going to kick my sorry slow butt. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's the folks you least expect to run fast who end up doing so. I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover.

The photo above in from this past summer. I look lean and strong. These days I am somewhere between 155-160 lbs year round, and along with my running, I am still doing 3-4 days of strength training per week. Being able to bench press a lot or do 20 pull ups doesn't really matter much as far as running goes, but I like staying well rounded for the other sports I enoy. I may be 20 lbs heavier than I was in 2006, but the 2012 version of me could kick the crap out of the 2006 version. Strong isn't just the new skinny, strong is the new fast.

....and remember, you aren't fat. You are famine resistant :-)

1 comment:

The Runners & Ale'rs said...

Thank you for this article. I have ran a few 50ks and i'm undecided in which direction to take my weight. I'm 6'1 and 185lbs. I definitely want to get to 170lbs but still keep my strength. I have plenty of fat that could go to bring me to that weight without losing the muscles.

But your article speaks to the point of staying at a weight and strength that you're comfortable with...which seems true in my case as well.